French marriage laws are straightforward and apply to foreigners and French nationals alike.
A couple must:
- Be at least 18 years of age. However, there are exceptions to the rule (for example in the event of a pregnancy) which can only be approved by a local procureur de la République (Crown Prosecutor.)
- Not be related in any way to their partner.
- Not be married at the time of union (be it in France or abroad)
- Reside in France or have been a resident for at least one month from the announcement of the banns.Each person must provide the following:
- A form of identity
- Proof of current or future residence.
- Information relevant to the witnesses’ (such as personal and professional details)
- A full birth certificate-Required within three months if issued in France-Required within six month if issued abroad.
- Should a pre-nuptial agreement have been drawn up, it must be signed by a notary.
- Foreign nationals should enquire at their local Mayor or consulate on what forms of documentation might be required.
Foreign nationals who are not residents of mainland-France still have the option of getting married in one of the following French colonies:
- French Polynesia
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- Wallis and Futuna
Requests must be made to the Mayor of the chosen commune at least one month and 10 days before the date of the marriage. The local civil registry officer verifies that the couple meet all requirements of French law prior to marriage; and he may ask the embassy officials to proceed with the couple’s compulsory interview prior to the marriage, for which an interpreter would also be present.
To be legally recognized, a marriage in France must take place at a town hall; and can then be followed by a religious ceremony.
Fête in France
Organising a wedding abroad can be challenging... let the bilingualstaff at Fête in France help you create a wedding that reflects yourpersonality. They'll take care of all the details - so you can enjoy atruly memorable day: www.feteinfrance.com
The American Church
A church where foreigners can marry is the American Church.
65 quai d'Orsay, 75007 – PARIS.
Tel : 0033 140 62 05 00 - Fax : 0033 140 62 05 11
France Wedding Association c/o Thema.
11 rue Saint Florentin, 75008 Paris
Tel : 0033 140 20 40 90
Just Married - "Weddings" division of : GOLDEN STAR EVENTS
44 Bd d'Italie- D/910 MC - 98000 Principaute de MONACOTel/fax : 00377 97 70 84 - firstname.lastname@example.org includes ceremony, reception, catering, flowers, music, gifts, hairdresser, limousines, horse drawn carriage….
In Paris (for bridal division only):
- Mr. Dominique Cabrelli, 28 rue la Condamine, 75017- Paris.
- Tel : 0033 144 900 802 and 0033 609 680 610 - email@example.com
- Mr. Olivier Laudus:
- Tel: 0208 374 1239 and 0796 142 1661 - firstname.lastname@example.org
www.histoiresdenvies.com - Histoires d'envies can orchestrate the entire management of your wedding: from advices to the planning, from the handling of every service provider (caterer,placeholder, cars driver, travel agency manager, hostel handler, animators, photographers, video...) to the interior design. To let everything get started, you just need to choose what kind of wedding you dreamt of.
Don’t you have any other questions? Suggestions?
Please feel free to contact them!
Anne-Sophie, Fanny and Valentine
Tel. 0033 952 539 273
Mob. 0033 617 276 368
Haute weddings - Dream destinations, France
Based in Chamonix, France Haute Weddings specialises in destination weddings in the French Alps, Provence, Loire Valley & the French Riviera. If you wish to share your special day with loved ones in a magical setting with spectacular mountain scenery, quaint medieval villages, grandiose chateaux, or gorgeous beaches our in-depth knowledge and local expertise will help make your wedding abroad a flawless and memorable event.
74 Place Edmond Desailloud - 74400 Chamonix
Tel: 0033 480 80 61 88