The National Necropolis of Tracy-le-Mont
At the National Necropolis of Tracy-le-Mont , built in 1920, are laid to rest nearly 3,200 soldiers killed in the surrounding area. Bordering a small road, the necropolis gathers together the remains from a dozen nearby temporary WWI cemeteries (Nampcel, Confrécourt, Saint-Crépin-aux-Bois, etc.). The site is also home to the tomb of a French soldier killed during the Second World War.
The National Necropolis of Cuts
The National Necropolis of Cuts is the only necropolis in France that explicitly pays tribute to soldiers from the former French colonies, Somalis and Comorians. Its layout and architectural style are characteristic of French consolidation necropolises of the 1920s.
The French Military Necropolis and German Cemetery of Thiescourt
The French Military Necropolis and German Cemetery of Thiescourt were built by France in 1920, on the site of a common grave containing some 50 German and French bodies buried by the Germans. This site also gathers together the tombs from 16 nearby locations. Most of the German soldiers buried here took part in the decisive battles of 1918 that eventually led to the liberation of Oise. The necropolis is situated on the so-called “Little Switzerland” massif, a decisive military sector during the conflict. Today, the memorial site is home to 1,095 dead and has applied to be listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The French Military Necropolis of Compiègne (Royallieu)
This site is home to numerous graves of soldiers from former French colonies (Mali, Ivory Coast, Algeria and Tunisia) and from the French overseas department of Martinique. What is more, 367 Muslim graves testify to the respect accorded the dead’s religious beliefs during WWI burials. The Military Necropolis of Royallieu is linked to Compiègne, a “hospital town” that played a key role during the conflict, notably with regard to advances made in the medical treatment of battle wounds.