Reopening of the Toulouse-Lautrec Museum
The Toulouse-Lautrec galleries were inaugurated at the Palais de la Berbie in 1922 thanks to the legacy of the Count and Countess of Toulouse-Lautrec. Today, the museum serves as the Ambassador of Albi, where the town welcomes nearly 160,000 visitors annually. These galleries were amongst the first of their kind in provincial museums.
Becoming one of the largest contemporary museums
It has been just over 10 years that the Toulouse-Lautrec museum in Albi has been undergoing significant works and renovations. Upon its scheduled reopening for the 2nd of April, 2012, the new museum will be equipped with a 156 seat auditorium, a dedicated room to educational activities, a 470m² exhibition room, new exhibitions will also be installed, both themed and chronological ones, plus works will be displayed in a whole new layout providing an original and innovative way of reading the works of the great Toulouse-Lautrec.
During the 3rd stage of the renovations, terracotta tiles were uncovered dating back to the 13th century CE, in particular those found in the great hall of the Tour Mage. This fortuitous discovery of terracotta tiles, covered already by an existing layer of flooring, would not have been found if it wasn’t for the museum needing necessary infrastructure renovations – the ductwork required for effective climate control of the future exhibition rooms.
Definitely an essential visit!