How to make a Kugelhopf
500 g flour (1 lb) – 200 g (7 oz) butter – 100 g (4 oz) sugar – 25 g (1 ½ oz) baker’s yeast - 25 cl (1 cup) milk - 2 eggs – salt – 50 g (1.8 oz) almonds - 50 g (1.8 oz) raisins soaked in lukewarm water – icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (thermostat 6 – 350 °F).
- Dilute the yeast in about 5 cl (2 tsp) warm milk.
- Incorporate the sugar, the butter, a bit of salt and the rest of the milk.
- Form a well in the flour and incorporate the eggs and the previous mixture.
- Mix thoroughly and work the dough until it is not sticky anymore.
- Add the yeast and knead the dough for a long time by stretching it and dropping it onto a slightly floured work surface.
- Place the ball of dough in a lightly floured bowl and cover it with a cloth.
- Let the dough rise for an hour, in a warm place.
- Press down on the dough and add the raisins.
- Butter the Kugelhopf mould thoroughly and place the almonds on the bottom, in the grooves.
- Put the dough in the mould and cover with a cloth.
- Let the dough rise until it reaches the edge of the mould.
- Bake the Kugelhopf for 45 minutes, covering it with aluminium foil as necessary to keep it from getting too brown.
- Sprinkle icing sugar over the Kugelhopf before serving.
Most suitable wine
Crémant d'Alsace, Riesling or Gewurztraminer