Getting Married in France
If you wish to get married in France, you must get in touch directly with the mayor's office of the town in which you wish to marry.
You must also get in touch with your Consulate in France.French Consulate: 0207 073 1236
- Minimum stay of one month in the town where the marriage will take place in France : Proof of residence will be required.
- Minimum age of 18 years old for a man and 15 years old for a woman.
- The future husband and wife must give their consent : Minors under 18 years of age must produce a written consent of both parents or their legal guardian. If the parents or guardians are not resident in France, their signature should be witnessed by a French Consular Officer.
- The future husband and wife must not have any close family relationship or ties with each other.
1 - Birth certificate : It will be necessary to provide the "certified copy of an entry" (the full version with the names of the parents) with a translation. It is necessary to go through a British translator then with the Legalisation Office of The Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London (see www.ambafrance.org.uk)
2 - Prenuptial medical certificate : this certificate can be obtained from the following organisations :
- a GP in France
- French Dispensary:
- 6 Osnaburgh Street, London NW1 3DH
- Tel : 0207 388 32 15
- Medicare Centre:
- 3 Harrington Gardens, London SW7 4JJ
- Tel : 0207 370 49 99
3 - A solicitor's certificate : this certificate is necessary if the future couple has entered into a marriage contract. In the absence of any contract, the spouses will be subject to the law of the country in which they settle their first place of residence, according to the Hague Convention of 14th March 1978. However, since this appreciation can be subject to variations, it is recommended to refer to that convention for further details.
4 - Certificate of law = certificat de coutume. This certificate can be obtained from either the:
- Consular Division - Foreign and Commonwealth Office:
- 1 Palace Street LONDON SW1E 5HE
- Tel : 0207 008 0186 (from 9.30am to 12.30pm)
- Consular Section of the British Embassy
- 16 rue d'Anjou 75008 Paris
- Tel : 00 33 1 44 51 31 00
5 - Declaration of forenames, surnames, occupation and residence of two witnesses,
6 - Divorce judgement for divorcees : For British nationals : Decree Nisi Absolute with a translation in French (which can be legalised as well),
7 - Death certificate of former spouse for widow or widower,
8 - Certificate of capacity to marry = Certificat de célibat : This certificate is also known as "certificate of non-impediment". It can be obtained from the town hall of the place of residence of the would-be British spouse.
(From Consulate website)
However, you can also get married in a civil ceremony in your home country first and bring those documents with you when you come to France to have a wedding - You can indeed have a religious or symbolic ceremony in France after having gotten married in their home country.
Fête in France
Organising a wedding abroad can be challenging... let the bilingual
staff at Fête in France help you create a wedding that reflects your
personality. They'll take care of all the details - so you can enjoy a
truly memorable day: www.feteinfrance.com
The American Church
A church where foreigners can marry is the American Church.
- 65 quai d'Orsay, 75007 – PARIS.
- Tel : 0033 140 62 05 00 - Fax : 0033 140 62 05 11
France Wedding Association c/o Thema.
- 11 rue Saint Florentin, 75008 Paris
- Tel : 0033 140 20 40 90
Just Married - "Weddings" division of : GOLDEN STAR EVENTS
- 44 Bd d'Italie- D/910 MC - 98000 Principaute de MONACO
- Tel/fax : 00377 97 70 84 - email@example.com
www.golden-star-events.com includes ceremony, reception, catering, flowers, music, gifts, hairdresser, limousines, horse drawn carriage….
In Paris (for bridal division only):
- Mr. Dominique Cabrelli, 28 rue la Condamine, 75017- Paris.
- Tel : 0033 144 900 802 and 0033 609 680 610 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Olivier Laudus:
- Tel: 0208 374 1239 and 0796 142 1661 - email@example.com
www.histoiresdenvies.com - Histoires d'envies can orchestrate the entire management of your wedding: from advices to the planning, from the handling of every service provider (caterer,placeholder, cars driver, travel agency manager, hostel handler, animators, photographers, video...) to the interior design. To let everything get started, you just need to choose what kind of wedding you dreamt of.
Don’t you have any other questions? Suggestions?
Please feel free to contact them!
Tel. 0033 952 539 273
Mob. 0033 617 276 368
Haute weddings - Dream destinations, France
Based in Chamonix, France Haute Weddings specialises in destination weddings in the French Alps, Provence, Loire Valley & the French Riviera. If you wish to share your special day with loved ones in a magical setting with spectacular mountain scenery, quaint medieval villages, grandiose chateaux, or gorgeous beaches our in-depth knowledge and local expertise will help make your wedding abroad a flawless and memorable event.74 Place Edmond Desailloud - 74400 Chamonix
Tel: 0033 480 80 61 88