Bordeaux - Cookery recipe
Original recipe by Philippe Gauffre
Cooking time: 35-40min
Ingredients for 4/6 people:
1 vanilla pod
500g icing sugar
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
2 tablespoons of orange blossom water
- Boil the milk, butter and the slit vanilla pod, then take off the heat.
- Blend together the icing sugar, egg yolks and whole egg with a food-mixer or whisk, adding the flour, orange blossom water and rum. Mix well so that the mixture is smooth in texture. Add the hot (but not boiling) milk, mix and put to cool for 24 hours.
24 HOURS LATER:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 7)
- Grease the moulds (use copper moulds if possible) with a special mould greasing spray.
- Mix the cannelé mixture and fill the moulds three-quarters full.
- Place in the oven for 35 to 45min depending on the size of the moulds.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Take the cannelés out of their moulds while they are still warm.
- Repeat until you have used up all the cannelé mixture.