Angers Loire Valley: a classic French city!
Angers is easy to get to from the UK, whether you travel by:
- ferry: the Channel ports are about 2h 30min from Angers.
- train: http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/
- plane : BA CityFlyer operates from London City to Angers, Tues, Sat (May 20 to September 2) and also on Wed in July and August. One-way all inclusive fares start from £65 on www.ba.com
Major attractions in Angers include:
-The castle with its 17 towers. This fortress houses the Apocalypse Tapestry, the largest medieval tapestry in the world.
- Terra Botanica. This is the first theme park in Europe dedicated to the world of plants! As well as gardens, water parks and greenhouses, there are 40 attractions and rides for all ages.
- Museum of Fine Arts
- The David d'Angers Gallery
- Museum of Jean-Lurçat and Contemporary Tapestry
- The Cointreau distillery. The visit shows how this delicious orange-based liqueur is made and finishes with a tasting!
A few steps away from Angers:
- Loire Valley chateaux that are still family homes, such as Brissac, Le Plessis-Bourré, Serrant.
Unlike many of the chateaux along the Loire, the stately homes near Angers are still privately owned. When you visit, you are entering a private home – just a very grand one!
- The Angers section of the Loire à vélo bicycle trail.
This 25-mile/40-km bike route follows the banks of the River Maine and the River Loire, and meanders past slate quarries around Trélazé and through the vineyards further west. Voted “Europe’s best new tourism attraction” in 2012 by the British Guild of Travel Writers, the Loire à Vélo bike route scheme has opened up the unspoiled beauty of the Loire Valley to cyclists.
- Loire wines
Nowhere in the world can match this region for variety and styles: delicious whites, light and quaffable reds, and rosés perfect for warm-weather drinking. Choose from still or sparkling, dry, medium or sweet. If you don’t know these wines already, you are in for a treat!
The grapes that do particularly well in the chalky soil are Chenin Blanc (white) and Cabernet Franc (red). Look for whites, such as Savennières, Coteaux de l’Aubance, Coteaux du Layon, Quarts de Chaume and Bonnezeaux. For reds, try Anjou, Anjou-Villages, Saumur and Saumur Champigny. And don’t forget the rosés: Cabernet d'Anjou and Rosé de Loire.
- River cruising
Want to rent a boat, so you can do as you please? It’s easy! Boats can be rented without a licence for a weekend or longer. An unforgettable experience! You can choose from traditional motor launches with cabins, sailing dinghies or even canoes. Angers Loire Valley is a huge water park just waiting to be explored.
Weekend breaks and packages for groups or individuals
The Angers Tourist Office offers attractive, well-priced city breaks with themes that include city tours, chateau tours, vineyard tours and cycle tours. www.angersloiretourisme.com/en/my-stay
Contact our central online reservation service for hotels, activities and the money-saving City Pass: firstname.lastname@example.org