Vignobles & Découvertes : The Provence Verte
Provence Verte is a tourist destination encompassing 38 towns and villages that are gathered around the two major towns of Saint Maximin la Sainte Baume and Brignoles.
This area is located in the heart of the Var department and less than an hour and a half away from the main regional cities.
The area's economy is primarily based on agriculture and has built its strength by enhancing its major assets: the forests and unspoilt environment, the abundance of water and above all viticulture, which has shaped the landscape. Here you are invited to discover the unexpected side of Provence.
"Rosé wine was born in Provence"
"Rosé wine was born in Provence" and wine-making is part of the history and tradition of this area. Predominantly in “Côteaux Varois en Provence” and partly in “Côtes de Provence” appellation, some vineyards date back to the Roman era.
The clay-limestone terroir gives a high quality wine of a great diversity. Wine is part of the “art of living” in Provence and a moment of discovery and sharing.
These are the reasons why our motivated professionals are committed to make you discover their know-how, their terroir and this unexpected side of Provence.
Our visitors are welcomed by the Provence Verte Tourist Office and our branch offices, by qualified tourist advisers.
Discover the area through documents which are available in several languages, free wifi access, the provenceverte.fr website and its mobile version and our suggested tailor-made stays and week-end packages.
Key figures :
More than 50 tourism service providers welcome you:
- 14 wine estates
- 1 “Maison du Vin” for the “Coteaux Varois en Provence” appellation.
- 8 Bed and breakfasts, 2 of whom are in wine-estates.
- 2 luxury hotels
- 3 classified furnished holiday lettings
- 1 4-star campsite
- 4 restaurants including the prestigious “Hostellerie de l'Abbaye de La Celle”
- 4 Heritage sites including the “Red Faces Bauxite Museum” (musée des Gueules Rouges) 10 leisure activities (artisans, sports and discovery activities, local producers ...)
- 1 Tourist office classified category 1 - receptive agency
- 6 main events including the International Wine Competition and the local Agricultural Fair in Brignoles