Rendez-vous at St. John the Baptist & St. Charles Borromeo churches
St. John the Baptist's Church
It is one of the most famous monuments in town. Designed in the neo-classical style, it is the largest church in Corsica. Built above the Old Port in 1583, it was repeatedly restored and modified throughout the years. Its noble and classical façade is partly hidden by neighbouring buildings, and inside the style is entirely 18th century baroque.
The bell towers were added late in the history of the church. The one to the left was built in 1813 by Swiss mason Tomaso Quadri, while the one to the right is the work of Bastia’s architect Paul Augustin Viale, and dates from 1864.
St. Charles Borromeo Church
It is one of the rare churches in Christianity not granting the right of asylum. It was a condition imposed by the Genoese to allow its construction. Its imposing baroque façade tops a superb volley of stairs. Inside the nave looks even wider, thanks to the white walls and the pilasters. Only the beautiful altar is richly decorated.