Rendez-vous at Saint Sacerdos cathedral in Sarlat-la-Canéda
The cathedral was originally a Romanic abbey church, from which the only vestige is the bell tower (the roof in the shape of a bulb dates from the 18th century). When Sarlat became an Episcopal city in 1317, the church became a cathedral, but in spite of its out datedness, work would not begin until two centuries later. The choir dating from the 16th century and the nave from the 17th century were both built in a Flamboyant Gothic style with lancet windows and flying buttresses.
Lantern of the Dead
The Lantern of the Dead was built at the end of the 12th century in Romanic style. It is composed of two parts: a chapel surmounted by a dome in lancet with three banners. For a long time it was believed to be a commemorative monument of Saint Bernard’s passage in Sarlat in 1147. However, it is actually a sepulchral chapel; a place of prayer for the dead, linked to the liturgical procession of the Passover.
Sarlat Périgord Noir Tourist Office
3, rue Tourny - BP 114
24203 Sarlat Cedex
Tél.: 33 (0) 5 53 31 45 45 - Fax : 33 (0) 5 53 59 19 44
Service du Patrimoine
Tél.: 33 (0) 5 53 29 86 68