Rendez-vous in Saint-Etienne
Saint-Etienne, City of Design, member of UNESCO Creative Cities Network.
Creativity, design, and a sense of cooperation are the vectors of the dynamic forces of Saint-Etienne. In Saint-Etienne, design flows from the walls. Through 700 hectares (over 1,700 acres) of parks and green spaces, creativity takes place. These decorations bring a new vision to the urban city.
Always moving, Saint-Etienne offers great cultural events, sports, and festivals throughout the year. The International Design Biennial, a major forward-thinking event that is open to all, is both a showcase for creative design and a living laboratory. Thematic exhibitions, meetings, lectures, and performances are constantly stimulating the senses and feeding the curiosity of visitors.
Historically, the city has established a close relationship with both technology and industry. This experience and know-how of today contributes to its future projects.
Faithful to its values, Saint-Etienne also knows how to share.
Do not miss
- The City of Design: a heritage of creativity and innovation that has given the city its reputation and helps draw the expression of Saint-Etienneand to reconnect with its roots. An aspiration symbolized by its location on the site of the former National Manufactory of Arms, designed by Finn Geipel&Giulia Andi.
- The entire city is full of modern buildings, from the Zenith of more than 7,000 seats to the Museum of Modern Art. A tour is proposed by the Tourist Office on the theme of architecture and design: works of artists in urban design, ultra-modern and design architecture, and design shops along the tramway throughout the city.
- The Modern Art Museum : a museum that is known as a pioneer. It was the first Museum of Modern Art created in the region in 1987. It presents a collection of modern and contemporary art among the largest in France, and has one of the four design collections in France. There are over fifteen exhibitions each year, accompanied by catalogs featuring internationally renowned artists being presented for the first time in France, and thematic exhibitions that reflect the major trends in art.
- Heritage Le Corbusier in Firminy : the famous architect was also involved with the planning of the nearby town of Saint-Etienne by building a stadium, a House of Culture, housing, and a church (completed in 2006). A unique site in Europe.
- Parc Couriot- Mine Museum : an historic monument and museum of France, it is an exceptional site close to the center of Saint-Etienne. It is the last witness of the mining adventure of the Saint- Etienne area.
- The Museum of Art and Industry : at the junction of art and history, science and technology show great traditions in Saint-Etienne, even though it has opened its doors to the creation of the most contemporary works. Major yearly exhibitions and workshops suitable for all audiences also contribute to the charm of the museum.
- Follow the guided tours to discover the architectural heritage of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries (listed under the label City of Art and History).
- Stade Geoffroy Guichard, also known as "The Cauldron" :is the seventh largest stadium in France. It is famous for being the playing field of the famous football team "Les Verts".
In Saint-Etienne, culture is presented in all forms: opera-theater, “la comedie”, “Le Fil” (the first modern music scene in the region), “la rotonde” (the scientist center of culture), l’Astronef “spacecraft”, the city of design, art galleries as well as major festivals: “rhinojazz”, “festival des 7 collines”, “Paroles et Musiques”, “made in”, “Face to Face”, “les Potoscarrés”...
The art of chocolate is the specialty of the city. Satisfy your cravings by visiting its traditional chocolate shops: Weiss, Coulois, Chocolat des Princes....
Enjoy the fresh air
Between the Loire Gorges and that Natural Park of Pilat (“Monts du Lyonnais” and “Ondaine Valley”), the unique environment of the territory of Saint-Etienne appeals to vacationers seeking natural areas and scenic tours: the former monastery of Sainte-Croix-en-Jarez (ranked among the most beautiful villages in France) and the Zoological Space of Saint-Martin-la-Plaine are fine examples.
The Tourist Office offers various short stay packages: City of Design, Museum of Modern Art, Gorges de la Loire, Heritage Le Corbusier, and the design restaurant (accommodation included).
By car: Take A72 from Clermont-Ferrand, the A47 from Lyon, and RN 88 for the connection between Saint Etienne and Firminy.
- 3 hours from Paris by TGV.
- TER every hour with the line Puy-en-Velay/Saint-Etienne / Lyon.
By plane: international Airport of Lyon-Saint Exupery Saint-Etienne 1:20 / Airport (International) Saint-Etienne-Boutheon (15 minutes from downtown)
Office de Tourisme de Saint-Etienne
16 avenue de la Libération
Tel.: 00 (33) 4 77 49 39 00