Orléans, Loire Valley
Orléans, between sky and Loire
Orléans, capital of the Centre région and of Loiret department is located 1h from Paris (by car or by train). In north of Orléans are the plains of Beauce and the largest forest in France, the “forêt d’Orléans”. In south, the Sologne and its ponds.
Orléans is a typical town of Loire Valley and benefits both from rich History and prestigious and legendary environment of Val de Loire. Vinegar and mustard are the gastronomic specialties of the city.
Today, Orléans is well-known for its dynamic economy, i sciences and universities, and also for its attractive History, and cultural and touristic aspect.
Important places to visit :
- The Cathédrale Sainte-Croix, gothic style, is a true witness of the troubled History of the city of Orléans.
- L’Hôtel Groslot, where François II died in 1560. Charles IX, Henri III and Henri IV spent some time there.
- La maison de Jeanne d’Arc (House of Jeanne d’Arc), where Jeanne d’Arc stayed from april 24 to may 9 of 1429.
- Le Pont de l’Europe (Europe Bridge)
Across the historic districts admire the medieval and Renaissance architecture and many churches. A heritage which is the reason why Orléans has the title « ville d’Art et d’Histoire » (city of Art and History).
- Le Musée des Beaux Arts d’Orléans, admire a masterpiece of Vélasquez, Boucher’s landscapes, and modern works of Jean Hélion, Roger Toulouse, Zao Wou-ki, etc.
- L’Hôtel Cabu, historical and archaeological museum of Orléans.
- The “Centre Charles-Péguy”, compiling des documents about the writer.
- Museum of Natural Sciences.
- The Memorial Museum of the children of the Vel d'Hiv, at the center for the Study about the internment camps in the Loiret.
- Le Park Pasteur, named « Louis Pasteur » in homage to the biologist who, contributed to Orléans’ vinegar development which is well-known in France.
- Le Jardin des Plantes, botanical garden with many species of flowers can be admired...
- Le Parc floral de La Source : in the center of the garden, an underground track brings you to the source of the Loiret.
Importants Rendezvous of the year
- Le Festival de Loire (september). More than 500 sailors reinvent Orléans’ historic docks during 5 days, tramping the streets of this historical port. More than 200 traditional boats are attended to celebrate the Loire with nautical demonstrations, strolls on the river, water jousting... In this exceptional atmosphere will be proposed initiations to local crafts and gastronomy and great evening entertainment every night.
- Orléans’Jazz, The Jazz Festival of Orléans (june).
- Les Fêtes Johanniques, celebration of the deliverance of Orleans May 8, 1429, by the army of Jeanne d’Arc, is the most important annual festival in Orleans (May).
- Les châteaux de la Loire,
- La forêt d’Orléans,
- Basilique Notre- Dame de Cléry - Saint-André,
- Moulins des bords du Loiret,
- Musée de la Tonnelerie,
By train :
Is 1 hr from Paris, trains each hour.
2 hrs 30 min hours from Nantes and 4h from Bordeaux.
By motorway :
1 hr 30 min hours from Paris.
By plane :
120 km, Paris-Orly airport(1 hr 20 min),
25 km from Orléans, Loiret airport (for private flights).
Contacts and uselfull links
Office de Tourisme & de Congrès d'Orléans
2, Place de l'Etape - BP 95632 - 45056 Orléans cedex 1
Tél : 33 (0) 2 38 24 05 05 - Fax : 33 (0) 2 38 54 49 84