Rendez-vous in Lourdes
Lourdes, Great Site of Midi-Pyrénées
Lourdes, a world bastion of spirituality, welcomes over 5 million visitors from over 140 countries every year. With 189 hotels, Lourdes is the second biggest hotel town in France.
Lourdes is also a small Pyrenean town with a very rich cultural and natural heritage. It offers a wide range of activities for sports and outdoor leisure fans (whitewater sports, horse rides and walks, golf, skiing and spa tourism).
Its geographical location at the foot of the mountains also makes it a first-rate tourist destination and an ideal base for discovering the Pyrenees.
Not to be missed
- The Sanctuaries of Our Lady of Lourdes
- The Grotto of Massabielle is the place where the Virgin appeared in 1858 to Bernadette Soubirous, a 14-year-old girl from Lourdes.
- The Basilica of the Rosary, in the Romano-Byzantine style, is monument of great interest, with its ornamentation of Venetian mosaics spread over a surface area of 2 000m².
- The Basilica of St. Pius X, which has capacity for 25000 people and was consecrated in 1958, is decorated with 39 paintings depicting various saints and blessed people, and also by 52 gemmaux.
- The Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. Its stained glass windows tell the story of the Virgin Mary up until the proclamation of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception by Pope Pius IX in 1854 and the Apparitions of Lourdes in 1858.
- The Castle Fort and Pyrenean Museum
This thousand-year-old fortress, which has never been conquered, is a listed historical monument and a museum of France. Since 1921, it has housed the Pyrenean Museum, which presents the most important collections on the history of the French and Spanish Pyrenees.
- The Pic du Jer Funicular takes visitors to the mountain of the same name. It offers the most beautiful panoramic views of the Pyrenees from Lourdes.
In Hautes-Pyrénées, to really get to know our land you need to experience our gastronomy. It’s part of everyday life, especially at festival time. Feel free to taste Bigorre specialities and our recipes, stroll around the markets in a typical Pyrenean setting, and meet local producers.
If you like savoury things, discover Pyrenees lamb, garbure (soup with ham and beans), Gascon black pig, or duck served in a wide variety of ways... If you have a sweet tooth, treat yourself to the traditional gâteau à la broche (pancake batter cake) or cailloux du gave (boiled sweets)!
The Lourdes Tourist Office website has real-time vacancy information from accommodation providers in Lourdes:
- Tourist accommodation complexes
- Furnished lets
- Bed and breakfast
How to get there
- By plane
Tarbes Lourdes Pyrénées Airport, 10 km from the town centre. Flights to and from Paris Orly, London Stansted, Milan Bergamo, Brussels, Barcelona. Charter flights.
Pau Pyrénées Airport, 45 km away. Flights to and from Paris Orly and Roissy Charles de Gaulle, Lyon, London City, Marseille.
- By train
Lourdes SNCF station - Several trains to and from Paris, journey times of 5h30
- By car
A64 motorway (exits 11 and 12)
Office de Tourisme de Lourdes
Place Peyramale - BP 17
65101 Lourdes cedex
Tél. : +33 (0)5 62 42 77 40
Mail : email@example.com