Rendez-vous in Grau-du-roi
Le Grau du Roi is an idyllic Mediterranean resort on the edge of the Camargue Regional Park. It is 20 minutes away from the Montpellier airport and offers visitors and residents beautiful sandy beaches in one of the most picturesque areas along the Mediterranean coastline.
At the doors of the Camargue, the resort is divided into two sites: Port Camargue and Le Grau du Roi. The Port Camargue marina and harbour is the ideal base for docking, with its sheltered entrance and many nautical services, including being the largest marina in Europe. The port is situated next to the old fishing port of Le Grau du Roi, and its canal is lined with fishing boats, old buildings, hotels and cafés. This can be reached from the marina by foot or bicycle path.
With over 300 days of sunshine a year, the Camargue is the land of black bulls, white horses with their riders, flamingos, and marshes full of migrating birds. Visitors can also pick from a wide range of activities: horseback riding, drives in a range rover to the heart of the Camargue, or relaxing on one of the three sandy beaches like the reserve of l’Espiguette with its impressive dunes. Visitors can also explore Aigues-Mortes, where its historic town was once a departure point for the Crusaders from many nations of Europe on their way to Jerusalem.
- The Mediterranean House of Wines, Olives and Regional Products: Opened over 20 years ago by local producers, this shop sells Languedoc-Roussillon specialities. Visitors will find more than 15,000 products such as honey, pates, soups, casseroles, Camargue salt, olive oils and over 2,500 cuvee.
- The Seaquarium: Discover an amazing world of wonderful fish and playful marine mammals, while learning how to protect sea turtles. The two-storey ‘Requinarium’ (shark tank), unique in Europe, is entirely dedicated to sharks, with over 25 species on display.
- Vogua Monstra (Summer): this annual traditional celebration dedicated to rowing and Mediterranean culture takes place over the Ascension weekend, and puts the spotlight on local culture – lakes, the sea, horses, Camargue traditions, fishing and more. There is a local food market, concerts, walks, folk music, dancing and a range of activities for every age.
- Festival of the sea and fisherman (June): processions, boat trips and fireworks.
- Local festivities (September): including bull races in the arenas and down the streets, water jousting, traditional local bands and more
Grau du Roi-Port Camargue Tourist Office
30, rue Michel Rédarès
30240 LE GRAU DU ROI
Tel.: +33(0)4 66 51 67 70