Rendez-vous to Champagnes G.H.Mumm & Cie
At the heart of Champagne Since 1827
The first pages of the House of G.H.MUMM fabled winemaking history were written long before 1827, its official founding date. The Mumm family, whose lineage includes barons and knights, dates back to the twelfth century. Already in 1761, the family had launched a business as wine producers and merchants based in Cologne. The company owned large vineyards in the Rhine valley, where it created its own wines.
In the early years of the nineteenth century, Peter Arnold Mumm's three sons recognised the sales potential of the outstanding sparkling wines produced in the Champagne region of France.
From the outset, quality was the key watchword for the partners in this new entity formed in 1827, and it has remained so for all of their successors. This approach would be encapsulated in the motto: "Only the best".
Terroirs and Crus
The House of G. H.MUMM's own vineyards cover nearly 218 hectares. The vineyards, in which Pinot Noir is highly dominant (78%) particularly in the Montagne de Reims, spread over the Grand Cru vineyards of Cramant and Avize devoted to Chardonnay in the Côte des Blancs and the Vallée de la Marne, where Pinot Meunier prevails.
With their total area under vines rated at an impressive 98% on the champagne quality scale, G.H.MUMM's vineyards include 160 hectares classified as Grands Crus and are situated in eight historic villages whose grapes express all of the authenticity of the Champagne region's best terroirs: Aÿ, Bouzy, Ambonnay, Verzy, Verzenay, Mailly, Avize and Cramant.
Very early in its history, the House of G. H.MUMM realised the importance of establishing a system to ensure the highest quality, supervising every stage in production, from grape-growing practices in all its vineyards to the crucial pressing process. The House set up thus its wine presses directly in the vineyards and also introduced a supply policy that was unprecedented at the time: purchasing grapes directly from growers in the finest vineyards rather than unfermented juice.
Visits in the depths of the cellars
G.H. MUMM welcomes you to discover the soul and expertise of a House dating back two hundred years, and to glimpse the true secrets that go into crafting its wines. You will also be able to visit our museum, one of the most comprehensive on the art of champagne-making. Guides will accompany you during the whole visit right through to the tasting, where they will initiate more inquisitive visitors into the etiquette and art of champagne tasting according to G.H. MUMM.
The G.H. MUMM cellars are open daily on reservation except for 25 December and 1st January and Sundays from November to February:
- high season: from 1st March to 31 October from 9.00 to 11.00 am and 2.00 to 5.00 pm,
- low season (November to February): open from Monday to Saturday from 9.00 to 11.00 am and 2.00 to 5.00 pm.
. Cordon Rouge visit
. Discovery visit
. Grands Crus visit
Languages: Visits in French, English, German, Italian and Spanish. Other languages available
Service des visites et réception G.H. MUMM
34 rue du Champs de Mars BP 2712
51053 Reims Cedex
Tél. : 03 26 49 59 70
Fax. : 03 26 49 59 01