The Château of the Dukes of Brittany was built on the remains of a Roman wall, which is still visible. This wall formed part of the city ramparts of the Roman town of Namnètes. The oldest part of the castle itself dates back to the 13th century. During the 15th century, François II Duke of Brittany made this the residential court of his realm. It nevertheless remains a defensive military structure strategically positioned close to the Loire. It is here that Anne of Brittany was born and that Henry IV signed the edict of Nantes. The edifice became a barracks in the early 17th century.
In 1924 the château was turned into a museum. It was used by the occupying German troops, who built a bunker there. At the turn of the 21st century, the château was the object of an extensive restoration project, which has returned it to its former glory.
Schedules and prices shown are those of the château interior
Courtyard and ramparts free access: open 7 days a week from 10am to 7pm
July and August open 9am to 8pm with late opening on Saturday night until 11pm
Admission prices :
Full price : 5 €
Reduced price : 3 €
Closed on 1 January, 1 May, 1 November and 25 December