Rendez-vous in Arles, in Camargue
Arles, city of art and history
Arles, is the third largest town in the Bouches-du-Rhone in population, but it is the largest township ("commune") in France in surface area, covering 172 500 acres (77 000 hectares). Arles is listed on three different types of UNESCO World heritage lists:
First for its historical center and all the Roman and Romanesque monuments, then for the pilgrimage Route to Santiago de Compostela in Spain (but also the Rome and Jerusalem Routes). Since the Middle Ages the Arles Route is one of the four trails crossing France and Europe to Santiago de Compostela. And finally for its World-renowned nature park: the Camargue is a member of the World network of biosphere Reserves.
Arles is the gateway to the Camargue, the delta of the Rhône River, among the most beautiful natural sites in Europe. Its fauna and flora, protected by the Regional Park of Camargue, are exceptionally rich and varied.
To the north of the city stretches the Regional Park of the Alpilles, the second park in the Arles area, with agricultural land and Mediterranean forests, habitat for more than one hundred rare or protected species.
The name of Arles is closely connected with that of Vincent Van Gogh. His stay in Arles was the most productive period of his career : more than 300 paintings and drawings done in 15 months.
Arles is proud to be a city of the south where life is pleasant, where local products and multiple landscapes change with the seasons of the year.
Not to be missed in Arles
- Roman heritage: the roman arena, the antic theater, the cryptportiques of the forum, the baths of Constantine, the Alyscamps
- Romanesque and classical heritage: St Trophime's church, St Trophime's cloister, l'hôtel de ville, les hôtels particuliers
- Arles, town of museums: the Arles arhceological museum, the Réattu museum, le musée de l'Arles antique (archéologie), le musée Réattu (art contemporain), the Arlaten museum (ethnography)
- Arles, in the light of Van Gogh: Van Gogh walking tour, Van Gogh fondation
- Arles, capital of the Camargue: the Vigueirat swamps, Domaine de la Palissade, The Camargue museum, la Capelière
Discover Arles and its
monuments all year-round thanks to the tourist passes : the Freedom pass (1 museum of your
choice + 4 buildings or monuments) and the Advantage pass (all monuments, buildings and museums in Arles).
- The Easter feria
- the gardian fetsival (May 1st)
- the election of the queen of Arles (May 1st, every 3 years)
- the festival of Arles (June)
- Les rencontres d'Arles (international photography festival) (july, august, september)
- Les Suds, world music festival (two weeks in July)
- "Arelate, roman days" and Peplum festival (august)
- Rice feria (september)
- Camargue gourmande (september)
- Rice festival (september)
- Provence Prestige salon (november)
- The International santonniers' salon (from november to january)
- Drôles de Noëls (chritsmas fun) (décember)
Train: SNCF station Arles
Airports Marseille Provence, Montpellier Méditerranée, Avignon Caumont, Nîmes Garons
Highways: A7 - A8 - A9
Office de Tourisme d'Arles
Espanade Charles de Gaulle - boulevard des Lices
Tel: +33 (4) 90 18 41 20 - Fax: +33 (4) 90 18 41 29