Rendez-vous in Angoulême
Between history and modernity
With more than 1000 years of history, Angoulême is rich in anecdotes. Saved from Visigoths by Clovis, the city saw personalities as Marguerite de Valois, sister of François 1st and the famous writer Jean Louis Guez de Balzac.
Angoulême has retained several monuments: St. Pierre Cathedral, Hotel de Ville, Château de Balzac ... The city has a recognized heritage, preserved and enhanced, and earned the label "City of Art and History".
The city was able to combine heritage and modernity. Some current architectures mingle with the historical monuments of the Pays d'Angoulême :
- Le bâtiment Castro
- La Cité Internationale de la Bande Dessinée et de l'Image
- Le lycée de l'Image et du Son Audiovisuel
- L'Espace Carat...
- Le pôle image, Magélis
Angoulême is associated with the world of visual art and deserves its status as capital of the ninth art.
Gastronomy in Angoulême
The unique taste of these products will take you to the heart of the Charentais terroir:
- Cognac: known as being Napoleon's drink is enjoyed all around the world . Different producers as Courvoisier, Martell, Rémy Martin or Hennessy will take you through the history of cognac.
- Pineau des Charentes: winemakers such as Roussille, Gaec de Sazaris, lycée agricole de l'Oisellerie will be happy to make you discover the legend of Pineau des Charentes.
- many growers as La Maison des Maines, Les Caves de Saint Sornin and Les Côteaux de l'Angoumois offer delicious Charentais country wines.
- the Letuffe chocolate factory managed to perpetuate respect of production traditions: cooking pot, pouring the pan, coating with a fork...
- Founded in 1889, the Lolmède biscuit factory is known for its macaroons. It produces more than 30 varieties !
Angoulême, a festive city
- Angoulême International Comic Strip Festival - january
- Théâtre en fête - april / may
- Musiques Métisses - may or juin
- Festival du Film Francophone - august
- Piano en Valois - october / november
- Les Gastronomades - november
Office de tourisme d'Angoulême
7bis Rue du Chat
Tel: 00 33 (0)5 45 95 16 84