Rendez-vous at the Ancient Palace of the Genoese Governors

  • Palace of the Governors

    Palace of the Governors

    © Clio20

Rendez-vous at the Ancient Palace of the Genoese Governors 2B Bastia fr

The Palace of the Governors was built from a tower erected in 1380 by a noble Genoese, Leonello Lomellino. The tower, "la bastia", gave its name to the city, as it stood on a strategic position overlooking the Porto Cardo Bay (now the Old Port), and was soon turned into a fortified castle. It became the permanent residence of the Genoese Governors of Corsica in the late 15th century.

It is now home to the Municipal Museum. A recent restoration rebuilt a quarter of the building destroyed in 1943, during the liberation of Corsica from the occupation of Italian troops. The new museum was inaugurated in June 2010.

Point of interest