Rendez-vous in Amiens
Amiens, the magic of colours...
Whether you’re a history buff, garden lover, seeker of cultural events or a simple dreamer, Amiens has become the new essential weekend destination. Situated just under 2 hours from Paris.
Amiens boasts a host of treasures awaiting your discovery, including the cathedral and belfry, both listed as UNESCO World Heritage sites, the hortillonnages gardens, Jules Verne’s house and the Saint-Leu district on the very edge of the water. All set in surroundings ideal to explore on foot or by bike.
Treat yourself to a weekend of surprises as you acquaint yourself with the many aspects of Picardy’s capital!
If you'd like to make the utmost of the season's mild weather and spend a weekend discovering Amiens, consult our great plans and take full advantage of a programme of activities not to be missed out on!
Not to be missed in Amiens
- Notre-Dame Cathedral, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site, while there also visit it's tower;
- The hortillonnages, floating gardens to be discovered by boat;
- Jules Verne’s house in the heart of the 19th century district;
- The Saint-Leu district with it's canals and floating market;
- The La Hotoie zoological gardens;
- >The nearby Somme Bay;
- Culinary specialities, including macaroons, chocolate tiles,ficelle picarde (savoury pancakes) and gâteau battu (a rich brioche cake).
Visiting the city
With your City Pass at hand, take advantage of 32 very attractive offers to help you get to know Amiens and its region. You can go at your own pace and follow what interests you most, during any part of the year you choose!
Festivals / Events
- Amiens Cathedral in colours – from June through to September and in December, located in the cathedral square (open air).
As night falls and the show begins lighting up on the portals of Notre-Dame d’Amiens, it brings back to life the figures sculpted in stone since the 13thcentury. A dazzling revelation of colours from the Middle Ages. It's a sort of pure wonder and joy that you get to share with the locals!
- White Night in Amiens – October, to be experienced in the city centre and it's surrounding districts.
Amiens provides you with an out-of-the ordinary night of festivities. Young and old alike can wander the city at will, through streets transformed for the night by the cunning hands of artists. Encounters, discoveries and contemporary creation are all included in an amazing programme.
- The Amiens flea markets – spring and autumn secondhand fairs occuring in April and October. These markets bring with them the opportunity to meet people from all over the country and to embrace and share in each others' differences in a warm-hearted and socialble atmosphere.
Amiens’ flea markets bring together close to 2000 amateur and professional exhibitors, with visitors from throughout Europe descending on Amiens in search to hunt down those highly sought-after items. This is certainly an experience not to be missed!
Getting to Amiens
SNCF railway station: 1 hour from Paris and 1½ hours from Lille, located in the city centre.
TGV railway station: 3½ hours from London and 2½ hours from Brussels, 40 minutes from the city centre by shuttle bus.
Airports: Roissy-CDG: 1 hour by TGV,Paris-Beauvais 45 minutes by motorway.
Motorways: A16, A29 and A1.